It’s hard to believe that 2015 has come and gone so quickly and now it’s time for the 6th Annual Pet Blogger Challenge. I first participated in this challenge in 2014 Pet Blogger Challenge after only 8 months blogging and then again for a second time in the 2015 Pet Blogger Challenge. If you are wondering what this is, it is a very cool challenge for pet bloggers to look back at where they have been throughout the year and look forward to where they are going.
Many Pet Bloggers take part in this challenge so I invite you to follow some of the links at the bottom of this post to find some great new blogs to follow. I find it the best way to really get the feel of some great people, it’s also a way to make some great new friends. So without further ado… here we go!
1. How long have you been blogging? And, for anyone who is visiting for the first time, please give a quick description of the subject of your blog.
I have been blogging since May 2013. I started Oh My Shih Tzu as a way to deal with a dog that suffered with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. It has now evolved into a blog about my Shih Tzu Riley and her love of dog sports! If you always thought that Shih Tzus were just couch potatoes and stubborn as heck I am out to prove that little dogs, especially Shih Tzus can be just as competitive as other dogs in sports.
2. What is the one thing that you accomplished during 2015, either on your blog or because of it, that made you most proud?
I was proud to be nominated for a second year in a row for a 2015 Blog Paws Nose-to-Nose Award! This year I was nominated for Best Pet Blog Photo. Though I didn’t win, it is such an honor to be nominated.
3. Which of your blog posts was your favorite this year and why? (Please include a link.)
This year my favorite blog post was Confession of a 40 Something Pet Parent. After much controversy from a Mommy Blogger about how pets don’t make people parents and that she couldn’t stand the comparison I had to make my own stand. Though my blog post didn’t go viral, I know a lot of people were able to relate to me and my situation. Even today as I look back and read it tears come to my eyes… just because they can’t talk back, well that is up for debate, my “kids” are the world to me, and being a parent is more than just a biological thing…. because I’ve realized in the times we currently live in not many parents actually “parent”.
4. A common theme from last year’s challenge was that many of us wanted to increase the size of our audiences. Whether or not we intend to monetize our blogs, it seems we’d all like to reach more people. It feels good to know that we’re connecting with others, sharing a laugh or supporting a cause, and it’s motivating to see those numbers grow! What is one thing you’ve done in the past year that has brought more traffic to your blog?
SEO! and a subscription to Co-Schedule have really helped me increase readership. But this year I would really like to connect more with my readers and have a greater relationship with them 🙂
5. Which of your blog posts got the most traffic this year? Why do you think it was so popular? (Please include a link.)
The most popular post on my blog this year was Cancer in Dogs: 8 Signs it Can Happen to You . We always think things happen to others until it finally happens to us. I think this was a very popular post due to obvious reasons.
6. What is one blog that you read religiously – other than your own – and what makes you such a devoted reader? (Please include a link.)
My Kid Has Paws is a blog that I read almost all the time. I tend to jump around a lot, but MKHP is so informative. Written by my friend Rachel Sheppard it is truly one-of-a-kind! I especially am looking forward to a new series of monthly challenges she will be doing!
7. What resources do you rely on to enhance your technical, writing, photography, social media, or other skills that improve your blog?
I love photography! So I try to rely on my photography skills to enhance my blog… I’m hoping to see a couple of new lenses in my future 🙂
8. What is the best piece of advice you can offer other bloggers?
Don’t feel pressured. Recently I haven’t been posting a lot. I have been writing a lot, but not publishing. For some reason I was putting this pressure on myself to blog … when really there has been no reason not to. This great piece of advice was given to me by my friend and fellow blogger Susan from Life with Dogs and Cats.
9. What is your vision for your blog in 2016? Do you have specific goals?
Well I’m excited to say that we now have a new addition to our family since January 7th! So we will be adding a whole new series about raising a Shih Tzu puppy and turning that puppy into an agility champion. Yes we have high hopes for this little guy! We will continue to participate in a ton of fun dog sport trials.
10. You have the attention of the pet blogging community – is there one blogging challenge you’d like help with, or one aspect of your blog that you’d like input on?
I would really like to restart my Check the 8 on 8! It’s a monthly reminder to check your female dogs and cats for breast cancer. We will be restarting in February and I would really like everyone to join in! You can participate with Posts, Tweets, Pins or even Instagram pics!
Be sure to check out some of the great Bloggers below recapping their 2015’s!!!